Daily Lost Investment: Every day that GLBI is not in action Canada is losing $525,983,561.60 in poverty reduction.

Bill C-223 in the House of Commons

All Dates are not Chronological, and can either represent the fiscal year or the date published.
Joseph
Site Admin
Site Admin
Feelings on BI: I founded GLBI.CA So YES!

Bill C-223 in the House of Commons

Post by Joseph »

Joseph
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Joseph »

Madam Speaker, I want to pick up on something the parliamentary secretary just said. He talked about this piece of legislation and its intent, in his words, to create “disposable income” for people. We have gone from providing supports to people to protect their lives and livelihoods to now providing them with disposable income.

I guess the new Liberal economic recovery plan is to use government money to pay people to go out and buy things instead of what this bill is intended for. I am just wondering this. Did the hon. member pick up on that, and does he have any comments on it?

John Brassard
Caucus: Conservative
Constituency: Barrie—Innisfil
Date: December 16, 2021 - House of Commons
Joseph
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Joseph »

Madam Speaker, I imagine my Conservative colleague will take some solace in the fact that what the member for Winnipeg North said was not true. In fact, the government has taken the advice of the Conservatives and cancelled the Canada recovery benefit program. It has created a Canada worker lockdown benefit that so far has not applied anywhere in the country. Despite the program being retroactive, nobody will be able to qualify for it retroactively. I regret to say it may apply in some cases going forward because of omicron.

I was at a press conference earlier. My colleague for Winnipeg Centre has done some excellent work on the idea of a guaranteed livable basic income and has brought a bill forward to the House that I look forward to debating and passing. When we give people who are already living below the poverty line enough income to live with dignity, we are not giving them disposable income. We are giving them enough for rent and groceries.

There are a lot of people who could use more financial support who are not going to get disposable income out of it. What they are going to get is a bit of dignity and the ability to have a home, to depend on that home in the future and to not pay rent at the expense of knowing where they are going to get money for medication and groceries.

Daniel Blaikie
Caucus: NDP
Constituency: Elmwood—Transcona
Date: December 16, 2021 - House of Commons

Return to “Bills C-223 and S-233”